a member of Dog B.O.N.E.S.sm is
easy and offers many benefits to therapy dog teams and facilities. Members
receive ongoing support through a matching service to facilities requesting
visits, insurance, identification tags and bandana for the dog, and identification
cards for the handler. See what some some facilities are saying about
our members. Here's how to become a member. If you are:
- Currently Registered - Making Visits:
Any dog registered with an International, National or Local Therapy
Dog Organization may become a member by completing the Introduction
to Becoming a Therapy Dog Team Workshop.
- Currently Registered - Not Making Visits:
If you have completed the Introduction to Becoming a Therapy Dog Team
Workshop but have not as yet made regular visits, you may schedule a
time with a Dog B.O.N.E.S.sm evaluator
for an observation meeting at an approved facility. The evaluator will
observe the team in action using the Dog B.O.N.E.S.sm
registration/observation test. Upon a satisfactory report the team may
- Not Registered with an Organization - Actively
Visiting: You may schedule a time with a Dog
B.O.N.E.S.sm evaluator to observe you at the facility
you currently visit. The evaluator will observe the team in action using
the Dog B.O.N.E.S.sm registration/observation
test. Upon satisfactory report the team may become members.
- Dog B.O.N.E.S.sm
Workshop: Upon completion of the Intro to Becoming a
Therapy Dog Team Workshop, the team must pass the Dog
test. Handlers must demonstrate a global understanding of the needs
of the elderly, the disabled and the young. You must exhibit appropriate
skills to volunteer in a variety of settings. The dog and handler must
demonstrate that they are working as a team.
Membership Categories and Dues:
- Active Therapy Dog Team: Handlers
18+yrs. old, dogs 1+ yrs. old, registered and actively visiting - $25
- Additional Handlers: (family members/
junior members) Handlers under 18yrs. of age - Family members- $5 Annually
- Retired Therapy dog Team: Retired
from active visiting but remain as members - $5 Annually
- Volunteer Members: Support the activities
of Dog B.O.N.E.S.sm
- No Dues
- Facility Members: Request ongoing
visits from Dog B.O.N.E.S.sm
- No Dues
Here are a few general guidelines for membership:
- Dogs must be a least one-year old. Volunteers must
be at least 18 years of age (16 with parental assistance).
- Dogs must have all vaccinations current, including
rabies, DHLPP, and possibly corona virus
- Dogs are required to be on a leash at all times when
in an institution, except when doing certain obedience or trick demonstrations.
- Dogs are required to have an annual physical and stool
check. Heartworm test may be necessary depending on where you live.
- Owners must carry proof of Dog
- Dogs and handlers must be clean and well groomed.
Web Design & Development
The Royalston Group